Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another beautiful child on the way

I was so lucky to have this family as one of my early clients from my first year that I started my portrait business.  I started because my friend Kelly told me that I had to do it!  So, with my Rebel XT and my husband's stage lights, I started to take photos.  I picked up some material from Fabricland so that I had a white sheet to photograph people on.  I used the stage light stands to hold the material up and I put the VERY hot lights on a table or the floor.   They worked great to get started and to see if this was something I liked doing.  Once I started doing it I was hooked!  I loved it!!  So, after I had photographed a handful of clients for next to nothing so that I could test the waters, I went to Sheridan College to learn how to take the camera out of auto mode and how to use lights.  I loved each course and started to sign up for courses through other photographers too.  Networking and learning from others in the field are a great ways to improve.  I was just at a course on Monday night and it is just so energizing to be in a room with so many photographers, all looking to help each other.

Eventually I purchased a real backdrop stand that all fit nicely into one bag.  It used to take me 2 trips for the backdrop stand and another 3 for the heavy hot lights.  Now, I can carry it all in one trip.  The problem with loving photography is that you become addicted to the gear.  I have since purchased 3 more camera's and I don't think Canon makes anything cheap.  Even the cables are crazy.  If you are looking for a great place to start purchasing gear, I love Damon at Henry's and you should go talk to him.  If you are looking for someone who knows what they are talking about and who will not try to sell you more than you need, go see him at the Mississauga location.

Anyway, back to my original story, this family was one of my first.  I took their maternity photos with their first beautiful little girl.  Then it was newborn images when she was just a couple of weeks old, then again at 9 months and at 1 year.  Now, pregnant with their second child, we are all set to start this exciting process of documenting the growth of their family again.  I am so pumped.  They are one of my poster families, with a 16x20 canvas positioned right on the table where I meet with my clients.  People stop them in the park and ask them if Leah photographed their family.  I just love that!

Please enjoy a few images from their recent session.

Thanks for reading.

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment